Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Six Ways to Fight Discouragement


You give and pour into the lives of others. Epic victory. The trip ends. Your body crashes. Emotionally you feel zapped. Weeks later you are still processing all the amazing things God has done and yet deep inside you feel numb. 

You feel alone even when surrounded by people. Discouragement grips your heart and life seems burdensome.

Our weakest moments rarely come in the midst of our greatest battle but in the aftermath of the victory. 


What I described above is the story of my life during the last several weeks. Surprisingly,  I didn't realize this was going on until I was in the thick of it. Even then, I felt even more discouraged that I could not get my act together. 

What went wrong? The enemy strikes when our guard is down and we feel too weak to fight.

Elijah the prophet poured into the lives of others. He had an epic victory at Mount Carmel in defeating the 450 prophets of Baal. This mighty man of God bravely stood his ground in the face of demonic threats. He proved to God's people that there was only one true and living God. After this miraculous victory he ran for his life...to a wilderness of all places! 

"Then he went on alone into the wilderness, traveling all day. He sat down under a solitary broom tree and prayed that he might die." (1 Kings 19:4) Elijah had an epic victory that ended with a death wish. 

One of the reasons why I love this story about Elijah is that God ministers to him in his weakness: 
  • An angel took care of his physical needs (1Kings 19:5-8)
  • God didn't speak to Elijah through the windstorm, the earthquake or the fire but through a gentle whisper (1 Kings 19:11-13)
  • God encourages Elijah to continue the work that He had called him to do (1 King 19:14-17) 
Elijah was a man who needed to be revived by the living God he served. You and I are not above this need. In fact, it is vital that our lives be renewed by God's strength on a daily bases. 

Six Ways to Fight Discouragement:
  • Allow God to lead you to a place of stillness (Psalm 23). This might mean setting aside your agenda, schedule, and busyness to just be...still. 
  • Listen to God's voice. Just as Elijah listened to the gentle whisper of God's voice, God is calling you and I to do the same. 
  • Talk with God about the things that are weighing you down. If you can't seem to find the words try journalling and then praying through it. 
  • Rally in the troops. God never meant for us to carry anything alone. Find a praying friend that can battle on your behalf. 
  • Remind your heart about the truth of who God is. One of the mightiest weapons against discouragement is the weapon of praise. 
  • Journal about the blessings of God and the stories of victory! Don't let the valley of discouragement steal the joy of victory from your heart.
"Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world." -Psalm 46:10

8 comments:

Monique said...

Really needed this today! Thank you for sharing Laurie <3

Emily Roberts said...

Thank you so much for sharing this today Laurie!! I love reading this blog and it has been a blessing to me!! So good to hear how many lives God changed through you in Russia!! Your trip to Australia earlier this year definitely made a difference in my life and I know that He will continue to work through you for His glory!!
xxx

Laurie said...

Monique, thanks for commenting. It is good to remember that we are not alone in our struggles.

Emily, it was a privilege to come to Australia and grow together in the Lord. Thank you for being an encouragement in my life!

Unknown said...

Ditto what Moni said...:)
I love getting onto Blogger and seeing a new post...and it usually is something that is SO applicable for right then and there. :)
Thank you! God bless :)

Kate Elizabeth said...

Thankyou so much for sharing this with us Laurie - it was a great encouragement to me, as it is similar to what I feel I'm going through at the moment! Thanks for your truthfulness and openess, and for your encouraging words. Praying for you.
Also praising God for the amazing work He did through you and the rest of APJ in Russia!
God bless,
Kate M. xxx

Anna said...

Wow! What encouraging ways to not let discouragement steal the joy! Great post! They always apply to what I'm struggling with that day! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the post. Before I got saved last year, I struggled intensely with self harm and anorexia. Praise the Lord, I've found victory in these addictions, but the one thing that will tempt me to regress to these sins is discouragement. But God provides so much encouragement in His Word and through His people, He always makes a way to escape temptation. And you're right: praise is really one of the greatest weapon against discouragement :)

MissChirp said...

Thank you Laurie! I have been very blessed by this post.